Huwebes, Disyembre 12, 2013

How effective are Apple's recycling programs?

junkyard planet cover

Apple has made much of how green its business is. But how green is it really? In this excerpt from his book Junkyard Planet (Bloomsbury Press, $26), writer Adam Minter takes a look.

As I write, there?s an iPhone 4s sitting on the desk beside me. It?s a fine phone, capable of far more than I need, but like high-end consumers everywhere, I?m aware that there?s a newer, better phone out there: the iPhone 5s. Whether I need the upgraded iPhone or not (and I really don?t), I want the upgraded iPhone. However, I?m restrained by two considerations. First, it?s an expensive device; and second, I?m intimately aware of the environmental costs associated with manufacturing new electronics and disposing of old ones.

Does it really help?

Apple doesn?t appear to spend much time worrying about complaints regarding its pricing policies, but complaints about its environmental footprint have been a corporate priority for years. Indeed, to its credit, Apple has been at the forefront of technology industry efforts to use fewer, and greener, materials in the construction of electronic devices. Even better, Apple is apparently making an effort to refurbish on its own and, when necessary, recycle the products that it manufactures.

Of course, Apple doesn?t engage in green practices only for the good of the earth; it also engages in them knowing that an environmentally minded consumer?like me?is much more likely to buy a phone from a company that promises to take back and recycle an old one.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Source: http://www.macworld.com/article/2068823/how-effective-are-apples-recycling-programs.html#tk.rss_all

incredible iPhone insurance iPhone Insurance\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s business card iPhone insurance iPhone apps reviews iPhone insurance worth

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento